El Camino Santiago Finisterre and Muxia has become important since practically the discovery of the Sepulcher of the Apostle Santiago (XNUMXth century) where many pilgrims once arrived in Santiago de Compostela from any of the different itineraries of the Camino de Santiago, organized by our organizing agency of the Camino de Santiago, they decided to extend their Way to the Costa da Morte.
They continued to Fisterra where the land was thought to end; and then to Muxia, direct to the Sanctuary of Virxe da Barca.
On the way to Fisterra you can obtain the certificate of "La Fisterrana" and if you extend to Muxia it will be "La Muxiana"
The 5 most important monuments on the Camino a Finisterre
In addition to the experience of completing the Camino de Santiago, there is also the possibility of enjoying true jewels during the journey. Both on a natural and architectural level, many of them will leave you speechless.
In the case of Road to Finisterre and Muxia This is no different. On the contrary, natural beauties are everywhere. Remember that this route is practically along the entire coast, so the maritime landscapes are companions.
Monuments of the Road to Finisterre
Unlike the rest of the available paths and the well-known and popular Camino de Santiago from Sarria, here the starting point is the city of Santiago de Compostela, ending at Cape Finisterre.
However, what not many know is that millions of pilgrims have traveled it since the Middle Ages. As you know, it was the last known stretch of land. Many nicknamed it as the end of the world and that is where its name comes from: finis terrae.
Here we leave you the five most important monuments of this Jacobean route:
The Roman bridge of Aguapesada
Built on the Aguapesada river, this work is also known as I rego two Steps. In the case of the tributary, it forms part of the Ames or Covas valley. It has its final point when it converges in A Condomiña de Bertamiráns with the river Sar.
The structure we know today It was built between the end of the XNUMXth century and the beginning of the XNUMXth century.. However, since Aguapesada is an important road junction, probably and according to some vestiges, there was already a previous construction.
It is a stone bridge designed with a lowered half-point arch and two spillways. Its roadway was made from large granite stone slabs with a volume grade. In addition, its parapets are also made of stone.
One of its main characteristics is the strange position in which it is found. Actually, does not follow the historical route of the Camino a Finisterre y Muxía, which had to go down from O Lombao in parallel to the current one. However, it disappeared as the plots grew.
Next to the bridge there is an old rodicio mill that was moved by the water of the same river. According to documents found, It has been here since the middle of the XNUMXth century.
The church San Juan de Mazaricos
Mazarics It is a municipality in the province of La Coruña with a wide and very rich historical heritage, as is the case of the Church of San Juan. It is located near the river.
Although at first glance it does not represent a completely striking construction, it is because of its historical past. And it is that this area, due to its location, enjoys a strong catholic devotion. Throughout the XNUMXth and XNUMXth centuries, a series of chapels were built, such as that of San Juan.
Is octagonal plan and it has a main chapel in the ogival style, as well as a rather slender tower in the Baroque style.
In 2009, the complex underwent a thorough rehabilitation. In this, the workers discovered in the basement what were the remains of the ancient temple that stood in this area. Construction that, according to studies, dates from the XNUMXth century.
The Castle of the Cardinal in Corcubion
El Corcubion Port enjoys a strategic geographical location. In the past, it was a fixed stop on the different expeditions that went to both the Mediterranean and Northern Europe.
In fact, this cove was used hundreds of times to carry out different looting raids on neighboring towns. Therefore, it became necessary to seek defensive solutions to this situation.
It was then that in the XNUMXth century the construction of three fortresses began: The Castle of Cardenal in Corcubión, Del Príncipe in Cee and finally that of San Carlos in Fisterra.
In the case of the Cardenal, the works began in 1742 with Lana Ferrieri in charge of the project. The project was completed by Carlos Lemaur and Francisco Llovet. Together with the Castillo del Príncipe, which is practically in front, they formed a powerful defense of the estuary, based on crossfire.
The crew consisted of 12 mounted guns, in addition to a permanent establishment of 96 men.
Despite the fact that for the moment its mission, which was to protect the entrance to the estuary, was achieved, with the passage of time it fell into complete abandonment, remaining that way for at least two centuries. In 1956, the local Administration decided to put it up for sale and since then it has remained in private hands.
Castle of San Carlos in Finisterre
El Castillo de San Carlos is a more than obligatory stop that stands out from a distance. It is a rather unique building. First of all, it has an irregular shape. It was raised on rocky ground, for which it was necessary to adapt it.
It was built around 1.757 under the direction of the renowned engineers of the time: Demaur and Exaccha. He was part, as we have already said, of a defensive plan for the Corcubión estuary, although initially for this work only the leveling of the terrain, the foundations and a certain section of the wall were carried out.
It took 10 years of work that was interrupted on several occasions. Finally, Carlos III, under royal decree, ordered its completion. It had three different fronts, as well as an interior warehouse, the powder magazine and the barracks. Years later, the central nave was practically completely renovated.
During the War of Independence, It was set on fire and practically destroyed tAfter an assault by French troops. Some years later, it was finally restored to its original shine and beauty.
The Finisterre Lighthouse
If you are looking to do the Camino de Santiago organized, you will surely know this point. It is surely the jewel in the crown of this path.
It is the lighthouse that It is located further west than the entire European continent. It was built in 1853, at 138 meters above sea level, with the intention of providing protection on one of the most dangerous coasts.
Apart from the lighthouse keeper's house, the complex also includes a small square that pays homage to the well-known General San Martín.
It has a tower with an octagonal base in stonework of 17 meters high. The light, protagonist of course, is 143 meters above sea level. It has a capacity that exceeds 23 nautical miles. In 1888 as a result of the heavy fog in the area, it was decided to add a lantern.
However, despite this, shipwrecks in this area have always been constant, some much more tragic than others.